BSTZ enjoys a premier reputation and well-established practice in all areas of patent law, including the preparation and prosecution of applications for patents, patent reexaminations, patent licensing, and patent infringement litigation at both the trial court and appellate levels.
Our patent practice group is made up of experienced and dedicated attorneys and patent agents who are exceptional communicators with an in-depth understanding of U.S. and International Patent Office procedures. We have extraordinary depth and expertise in a broad range of technologies. All of our patent attorneys and patent agents have degrees in engineering and/or science, and most have real-world hands-on experience in the fields of electrical engineering and/or computer science. In addition to their legal degrees and qualifications, a number of our attorneys have worked as patent examiners at the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
In nationwide surveys of patent quality, we are consistently ranked at the top in the following technology areas:
- Computer software
Our patent services include:
- Filing U.S. and international patents
- Responding to Office Actions
- Filing petitions to the Commissioner of Patents & Trademarks
- Provoking interferences
- Filing for reissue
- Filing ex parte and inter partes reexaminations
- Appealing cases to the Board of Patent Appeals
- Appealing cases in the courts
Experience and Technical Expertise
Our thorough understanding of technology allows us to readily understand inventions and prepare patents which include the relevant technical details clearly and succinctly – protecting valuable time and resources. We have a successful track record in obtaining patent protection for inventions including:
- Computer software and hardware, workstations, microprocessors and related semiconductor devices
- Telecommunications and network technologies
- Analog and digital electronics outside of the computer field, and
- Mechanical, electro-mechanical, biotechnical and chemical
Intellectual property law is now more international in scope than ever before. BSTZ has long-established relationships with foreign patent firms spanning the world. These foreign associates assist in the international filings of patent applications on behalf of our clients.
Applications for foreign patents are filed under the Patent Cooperation Treaty, as well as directly in numerous industrialized nations abroad. We have a large foreign clientele on whose behalf we file applications for United States patents claiming inventions made in other countries.
Our long-term relationships with more than 100 patents firms around the globe result in unparalleled access to an international team of associates focused on client success.
Our extensive understanding of technology is paired with our willingness to truly understand our clients’ business. By understanding how each idea fits into a client’s business strategy, we play a significant role in the creation of a cohesive and strong patent strategy. Once a strategy is in place, we can assist in targeting spending, encouraging innovation, and maintaining a patent program that will produce optimal results.
Patent Opinions and Searches
BSTZ conducts patent-related searches such as:
- Broad searches to explore the state of the art in a particular field
- Patentability searches to determine the likelihood of obtaining a patent on a particular invention
- Infringement searches to determine whether the claims of any patent might be infringed by the manufacture, use or sale of a client’s product
- Validity searches to uncover prior art patents that might be cited to support an argument that a particular patent in invalid
The results of the above-described searches are analyzed and opinions are then rendered based upon such analysis. Such searches are both domestic and international in scope, and usually include searches for pertinent literature in the field, as well as patents.
Reexamination and Reissue
We can assist clients in filing or responding to ex parte and inter partes reexamination requests. Reexamination requests are an alternative to patent litigation, proceeding before the USPTO. With our comprehensive knowledge of the USPTO, along with our experience in prior art searching, we are perfectly positioned to assist clients with reexamination issues.
Portfolio Analysis and Due Diligence
BSTZ has the expertise to review and evaluate a patent portfolio. Portfolio analysis may be done as part of a “due diligence” process if a client is acquiring a technology-based company. Portfolio analysis includes the evaluation of patents, the research of records at the USPTO to confirm a clear chain of title, and conducting prior art searches to verify validity.